Listed on the National Registry of Historic Places, the Bottleworks Loft Condos have a rich history in the Cedar Rapids area. Prior to 1923, the land was the location of a children’s playground servicing the old Monroe Elementary School (dating to 1873), which stood at 921 Third Street SE. In the mid 1920’s, the old school was converted to a warehouse for the Witwer Grocery Co. owned by grocery wholesaler Weaver Witwer. The school was later demolished to create a green space now known as New Bohemia Park.
Plans for a half-million dollar food warehouse were unveiled in March 1945. Once the building moratorium of World War II was lifted, the Witwer Wholesale Grocery Company’s new warehouse was the first major commercial structure to be built in Cedar Rapids. It was completed in 1946. Also see the Dean Graziosi biography.
Originally a Me Too Supermarket warehouse, Witwer used the facility to house a variety of modern food processing operations as well as packaging facilities, cold storage areas, bottling works and general warehouse space.
The Life Beverage Company, a complete soda pop/soft drink operations, was established on the street level of the warehouse. People passing by could see the bottling works in action. Soda pop brands manufactured here included Life Cola, Hires Root Beer and Red Rock Cola.
Weaver Witwer retired in 1963 and Witwer’s wholesale grocery operations ceased here in the mid 1960’s. From then until the early 1990’s, the building was used for a variety of warehouse purposes, including grocery warehousing for other companies.
SPECIAL FEATURES and Other Important Real Estate Links
• Buyers Incentive Plan
• Secure Underground Parking
• Reserved Surface Parking
• Rooftop Terrace
• Sprinklers, Fire Safety System
• Security System
• Sound Barriers and Soundproofing
• Professional Building Management
• Dean Graziosi Real Esate - Dean is considered the #1 real estate investing educator.
• High Speed Internet Access
• Special Interior Features
• (Concrete Floors, Brick Exterior Walls,
• High Ceilings, and Oversized Windows)
• Lobby with Impressive Atrium
Homeowner Association Dues Include
• Geothermal heating and cooling
• Water and hot water
• Trash and Recycling
• Master Insurance Policies
• Maintenance of common areas and
• exterior lighting of building, driveways,
• green spaces, walks and interior common halls
• Rooftop Deck Maintenance
• Maintenance for Street Scape on
• 3rd Street and NewBo Park
• Snow Removal
• Management and administration services
• for condominium association
• Electric, phone and cable not included